Ready-to-wear, or off the peg, shirts rarely fit most men well. Made-to-measure are a far better alternative for most men. However, before you begin your MTM shirt journey, bear these 5 points in mind culled from the collective experiences of Lyf Consul.
- Manage your expectations. When ordering a MTM shirt for the first time, it is important to bear in mind that there is a greater likelihood that the shirt wont be 100% to your liking, rather than it will be.
- It's an iterative process. This is not to discourage you from a MTM shirt, on the contrary we're huge fans. But to remind you may have to send it back once or twice
- It takes time. Most MTM shirts are not made locally in the developed world, but in the developing world - Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Tunisia. Shipping back and forth takes time, and your shirt is not the only one they have to make.
- Stick to the basics. For your first shirt, start of with blues and whites in terms of color. And poplins and broadcloths in terms of fabrics. Once you get your fit right, experiment away
- Experiment with various MTM tailors. Find the right tailor for you. Someone else's favorite may not be yours. This is an idiosyncratic process and finding someone who gets it right for you takes time.